Millicent Stephenson is an accomplished and acclaimed award winning female saxophonist, whose shining achievements in 2017 includes being featured on BBC1 Songs of Praise.
Described as ‘Sax Supremo’ by The Voice Newspaper, Millicent was tutored by the late great saxophonist Andy Hamilton MBE and featured in his Central TV documentary ‘Silver Shine’.
Millicent helps female musicians of all ages to achieve their musical goals through her networking event called ‘Cafemnee’ (Ca’fem’nee) www.cafemnee.com
Millicent’s yearly Show ‘Not Just Jazz’ showcases her original compositions as well as her interpretation of iconic Jazz, Blues, Reggae, Soul and Gospel numbers with a live band and dancers.
Millicent is a songwriter and her track ‘I’d Be Blue If I Didn’t Have You’ from her album ‘Reflective Notes’ was short listed and featured on the USA Women of Substance Radio Podcast in March of 2018. Millicent’s version of Kirk Franklyn’s ‘Take Me To The King’ was featured on ‘The LadySong Show‘, Miami, hosted by Millissa Jayne.
Millicent regularly performs around the UK at Festivals, Concerts, Dinners, Galas, Weddings, Funerals, Corporate events and Church Services her performances include:
- Birmingham City Council luncheon for the Governor General of Jamaica: His Excellency, the most honourable Sir Patrick Allen
- Commonwealth Games, The Queen’s Baton Relay, Birmingham
- Birmingham Gems Charity Calendar launch.
- Frankfurt Christmas Market
- ‘Gone But Not Forgotten’, Bikers Ride of Remembrance
- An evening with June Sarpong MBE (TV Presenter and Broadcaster)
- Funeral service of Dr Joanna Skelt (University of Birmingham & City of Birmingham Poet Laureate)
Millicent is also a Pianist, Vocalist, Music Director, Teacher, Label Owner (Silver Gliss Music), wife and mother. Millicent’s full bio can be found on the About Page of her website: millicentstephenson.com
LINKS and CONTACT INFO
Millicent Stephenson is a unique performer who shows her versatility and virtuosity at every performance. Her ability to move an audience is awesome. Having seen her perform at the Jamaica 50 Cultural Extravaganza and Salute to the Jamaican Olympic Team at Birmingham Symphony Hall on the same stage with Beverley Knight, Jaki Graham, and Musical Youth, Jimmy James to name a few, you know she is the real thing. It was a pleasure to work with such a talented saxophonist’.
J .D. Douglas Artistic Producer, London
‘Wow what an evening! You truly were the star of the show tonight…just blew everyone away. You are from now until forever my favourite saxophonist. I feel so honoured and know our guests did too. Thanks for your flexibility and assistance and please pass on my thanks to your husband. It was a pleasure having you both with us. As soon as I have an excuse to book again I will do! Thanks again’.
‘Our family thought you were exceptional, a professional and sensitive to the occasion of our father’s funeral. You made the day a memorable occasion. A consensus agreement you were a good choice. Millicent again many thanks. We would highly recommend your services‘.
‘Millicent made our wedding complete. She was brilliant and professional whilst providing a couple of wonderful sets which were absolutely spot on for our needs. Millicent deserves a wider audience and all the success in the world.’
Andrew and Dena Parr, Worcestershire
At Last – Etta James
Sway – Michael Buble
Unforgettable – Dinah Washington
Amazing Grace – John Newton
My Redeemer Lives – Nicole C Mullen
My Tribute – Andrae Crouch
Kingston Town – UB40
She’s Royal – Tarrus Riley
Three Little Birds – Bob Marley
Fireworks – Katy Perry
Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
You’re the First, The Last, My Everything – Barry White
All Of Me – John Legend
Ain’t Nobody – Chaka Khan
If I Ain’t Got You – Alicia keys
Silent Night – Traditional
Have Yourself a merry Little Christmas – Kenny G
Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire – Nat King Cole
Music written by Millicent:
- Finalist for ‘Role Model of the Year’ Award, Midlands Business & Community Awards 2018
- Musicians Union (Midlands) Regional Committee Member from 2018
- AJN Chairman’s Special Recognition Award 2017
- Featured on BBC1 Songs Of Praise (Sun 5th March 2017 ‘Zebrugge Anniversary’ programme)
- Featured Artist BBC Radio WM ‘Chatback Show’ and ‘Sunday Night With Joe and Nikki’
- Creator, Producer & Artistic Director – ‘Not Just Jazz’ shows
- Executive Producer ‘This Is Life’ and ‘Reflective Notes’
- Journal features in The Voice Newspaper, The Phoenix Newspaper, FEU (Federation Of Entertainment Unions), Keep The Faith Magazine, MOBO Online.
- HM The Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebration, Birmingham Town Hall (2016)
- Creative Director and Founder of Cafemnee (Sept 2014)
- Featured on BBC Introducing (Feb 2014)
- Invited to perform at the Jamaica’s 50th Independence Cultural Extravaganza and Salute to the Jamaica Olympic Athletes Show, Symphony Hall, Birmingham (2012)
- Reception for the Governor General of Jamaica, His Excellency The Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, ON, GCMG, CD of Jamaica (2013)
- Wise Women & Keep the Faith Magazine Music Award 2011
- Saxophonist, Songwriter, Pianist, Vocalist, Music Director, Teacher and Independent Label owner (Silver Gliss Music), Wife and Mother of 2 adult children.