Millicent Stephenson is an accomplished and acclaimed in demand multi award winning female saxophonist, and has featured on BBC1 Songs of Praise.
Described as ‘Sax Supremo’ by The Voice Newspaper, Millicent was tutored by the late great saxophonist Andy Hamilton MBE and featured in his Central TV documentary ‘Silver Shine’.
As a successful full-time professional artiste Millicent gives back to musicians. In particular she recognised the lack of female musicians in the Industry and founded a networking event called ‘Cafemnee’ where she mentors and empowers women returning to their music, transforming their lives. Millicent was invited to speak about women in music on BBC1 Songs of Praise; Radio Stations; Journals and WhiiseCon 2018
In response to ‘Where can I find you?’ from her fans Millicent produces yearly Shows called ‘Not Just Jazz’ to showcase her original material, favourite iconic Jazz, Blues, Reggae, Soul and Gospel covers with her witty take on life.
Millicent is a songwriter and her track ‘I’d Be Blue If I Didn’t Have You’ from her album ‘Reflective Notes’ was short listed and featured on the USA Women of Substance Radio Podcast in March of 2018. Millicent’s sax reggae version of Kirk Franklyn’s Gospel and Contemporary chart topper ‘Take Me To The King‘ was featured on ‘The LadySong Show‘, Miami, hosted by Millissa Jayne.
In her spare time Millicent serves as a member of the Midlands Regional Committee of the Musicians Union and on the Musicians Union Equalities Sub Committee.
Millicent became an Endorser of Harry Hartmann Fiberreed‘s in 2019.
Millicent is also an entrepreneur; pianist; vocalist; music director; teacher; mentor; label owner (Silver Gliss Music); Millicent is a wife and mother of two adult children.
Example performances include:
- Birmingham City Council luncheon for the Governor General of Jamaica: His Excellency, the most honourable Sir Patrick Allen
- Commonwealth Games, The Queen’s Baton Relay, Birmingham
- Birmingham New Street Railway Station
- Birmingham Gems Charity Calendar launch
- Frankfurt Christmas Market
- ‘Gone But Not Forgotten’, Bikers Ride of Remembrance
- An evening with June Sarpong MBE (TV Presenter and Broadcaster)
- Funeral service of Dr Joanna Skelt (University of Birmingham & City of Birmingham Poet Laureate)
DJ Gordon West, KickFM Radio
(The Gordon West World Wide Radio Show is syndicated through 15 stations FM DAB, the Net; Airs on KYBN Radio California, WSJR DB Radio Miami. Reflections Radio. SOUL JUICE Radio and others in USA Canada Europe. 6 million listeners worldwide).
MIllicent Stephenson’s performance was outstanding. It made the whole event extra special. We would highly recommend her work.”
Deborah Ogunshakin, Birmingham
‘Our family thought you were exceptional, a professional and sensitive to the occasion of our father’s funeral. You made the day a memorable occasion. A consensus agreement you were a good choice. Millicent again many thanks. We would highly recommend your services‘.
At Last – Etta James
Sway – Michael Buble
Unforgettable – Dinah Washington
Amazing Grace – John Newton
My Redeemer Lives – Nicole C MullenMy Tribute – Andrae Crouch
Take Me To The King – Tamela Mann/Kirk Franklin
Kingston Town – UB40
She’s Royal – Tarrus Riley
Three Little Birds – Bob Marley
Fireworks – Katy Perry
Thinking Out Loud – Ed Sheeran
You’re the First, The Last, My Everything – Barry White
All Of Me – John Legend
Ain’t Nobody – Chaka Khan
If I Ain’t Got You – Alicia keys
Silent Night – Traditional
Have Yourself a merry Little Christmas – Kenny G
Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire – Nat King Cole
Music written by Millicent:
- ‘Just The Way You Are’ Number 1 Listeners Choice, Stevie J Stingdem Radio Chart. 2020
- Executive Committee member of the Musicians Union, 2020
- ‘Take Me To The King’ Number 1 BIWST Chart, January 2019.
- The Peoples Award, A-spire magazine (Dallas USA), 2019
- Endorser of Harry Hartmann’s Fiberreed, Germany. 2019
- Winner of The People’s Choice Award, A-spire Magazine (Dallas, USA), May 2019 https://www.a-spire.me/april-winner-people-choice
- Finalist for ‘Role Model of the Year’ Award, Midlands Business & Community Awards 2018
- Speaker at WhiiseCon 2018 (http://www.whiisecon.com)
- Musicians Union Equalities Sub-Committee Member from 2019
- Musicians Union (Midlands) Regional Committee Member from 2018
- AJN Chairman’s Special Recognition Award 2017
- Featured on BBC1 Songs Of Praise (Sun 5th March 2017 ‘Zebrugge Anniversary’ programme)
- Featured Artist BBC Radio WM ‘Chatback Show’ and ‘Sunday Night With Joe and Nikki’
- Creator, Producer & Artistic Director – ‘Not Just Jazz’ shows
- Executive Producer ‘This Is Life’ and ‘Reflective Notes’
- Journal features in The Voice Newspaper, The Phoenix Newspaper, FEU (Federation Of Entertainment Unions), Keep The Faith Magazine, MOBO Online.
- HM The Queen’s 90th Birthday Celebration, Birmingham Town Hall (2016)
- Creative Director and Founder of Cafemnee (Sept 2014)
- Featured on BBC Introducing (Feb 2014)
- Invited to perform at the Jamaica’s 50th Independence Cultural Extravaganza and Salute to the Jamaica Olympic Athletes Show, Symphony Hall, Birmingham (2012)
- Reception for the Governor General of Jamaica, His Excellency The Most Hon. Sir Patrick Allen, ON, GCMG, CD of Jamaica (2013)
- Wise Women & Keep the Faith Magazine Music Award 2011
- Saxophonist, Songwriter, Pianist, Vocalist, Music Director, Teacher and Independent Label owner (Silver Gliss Music), Wife and Mother of 2 adult children.
LINKS and CONTACT INFO
Millicent’s full bio can be found on the About Page of this website.